LAKE TEKAPO: beauty, tranquility, adventure
ACTIVITIES (but don't feel that you have to do anything at all )
- WALKWAYS- Lake Tekapo has many walkways and Alpine Cottage has a map for all of them
- CYCLING - Lake Tekapo is now the alternative start to the Alps2Ocean Cycle Trail
- STARGAZING - Look up at night or book a tour and see the Aoraki/Mackenzie International Dark Sky Reserve
- SKIING - Visit the local ski fields in winter
- ICE RINK and HOT POOLS - Tekapo Springs offers fun for the entire family
- FISHING - Trout or salmon anyone?
- BIRD WATCHING - Ask Michael
- SCENIC FLIGHTS - Air Safaris for fixed wing flights and Tekapo Helicopters for snow landings
- HORSE TREKKING - only available in summer
At 710 metres (2300 ft) above sea level, Lake Tekapo, in the center of New Zealand's South Island is conveniently situated half way between Christchurch and Queenstown on State Highway 8. The east coast (Timaru) is a 70 minute drive, and New Zealand's highest point (Aoraki / Mt Cook) is 70 minutes further inland.